Thursday 25 March 2010

Black Countey Museum

Captains Log

Canal Date 25th March 2010

Travels 8.5 Miles

3 Locks

Current Location Black Country Museum

OS Ref SO 950 918

We spent a day in Birmingham City Centre. The home of our birth and our upbringing. We were totally lost we had little idea as to where we were and where to go. It has totally changed since I last spent time there. It certainly needed change. You have never heard the phrase “As pretty as Brum” and I think that there is a very good reason for that.

It certainly has changed. I don’t think that the word “Improved” should be used just changed! I doubt that you see the phrase “as pretty as Brum” come into everyday talk. It’s full of people, all looking rather glum and all in a rush to somewhere else.

I have dried out and the pain has now subsided in my right leg following my impromptu swimming adventure so time to continue.

The weather forecast said that it would be dry in the Morning and rain in the afternoon so we set off at first light (about 9.30) and headed for the Black Country Museum. As our route took us close my old office, I thought it only polite to call in and scrounge a cup of coffee.

This leg of our journey was worrying me a bit. I have been told all sorts of horror stories relating to the B.C.N. varying form just being stoned by our youths (Bless them all) to being fully killed to death.

We they were all wrong, nothing bad happened at all. No dead bodies floating in the cut, No gangs of drug crazed hoodies with guns, nothing but a nice quiet, tranquil trip through some pleasant countryside interspaced with a little bit of industrial heritage here and there. We only saw one other boat moving all day.

A good day.

We arrived at the Museum by mid afternoon, just before the afternoon rain started.

See, the weatherman is right sometimes.

We are moving on through Wolverhampton and onto the famous 21 locks tomorrow.

I do hope my motley crew perform well!

No comments: